Why is it necessary for collaborative divorce lawyers to withdraw if an agreement is not reached in a case?
While the following is by no means an exhaustive list, the following are a few key reasons:
- The spouses will work harder to settle if they know they must hire new lawyers to go to court.
- The lawyers cannot give up and get a second chance in court – they lose their jobs if the parties don’t settle.
- The lawyers are able to focus 100% of their skills on settling the case.
- The spouses will be more honest if they know that no lawyer in the process will be able to cross-examine them later if the case does not settle.
- Negotiations take a place in a safe envelope – attorneys who are not going to court do not saber rattle or make threats.